Commonwealth Health Corporation has been recognized as a Platinum-Level Start! Fit-Friendly Company by the American Heart Association’s Start! initiative for helping employees eat better and move more.
"Physical activity and employee wellness are important priorities at Commonwealth Health Corporation. We are honored to be recognized by the American Heart Association’s Start! movement as a Platinum-Level Start! Fit-Friendly Company," said Connie D. Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer of Commonwealth Health Corporation. "We’re committed to providing the best workplace environment possible. This will benefit our employees' health and produce even more positive results for our company overall."
As a Platinum-level employer, Commonwealth Health Corporation promotes a wellness culture within the workplace and offers employees a variety of programs to promote healthy living. Some of the programs offered include:
- Fitness Facility Reimbursement including personal trainer expenses
- 100 Mile Club where employees receive milestone incentives for miles tracked
- Walking Wednesdays to encourage walking during warmer months
- Weight Loss Program Reimbursement provides up to $75 for participating in a weight loss program for at least 3 months
- Physical activity classes provided by Employee Health staff and independent contractors
- Smoking Cessation Reimbursement for up to $150 a year for participating in approved smoking cessation programs
- Discounted premium on health insurance if employee completes annual wellness visit with a healthcare provider
- Free annual influenza vaccine provided to all employees with incentives for participation.
- On-site Employee Health Medical Clinic provides the services of Advanced Practice Registered Nurses to treat limited acute-type conditions at no charge
- Free Employee Assistance Program counseling services for employees and family members.
The Start! Fit-Friendly Companies Program is a catalyst for positive change in the American workforce by helping companies make their employees’ health and wellness a priority. American employers face increasing healthcare expenses and health-related losses in productivity that cost an estimated $225.8 billion a year. Many American adults spend most of their waking hours at sedentary jobs. Their lack of regular physical activity raises their risk for a host of medical problems, such as obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes. Employers face $12.7 billion in annual medical expenses due to obesity alone. Start! helps change corporate cultures by motivating employees to start walking, which has the lowest dropout rate of any physical activity.
"We in Southcentral Kentucky are truly blessed to have The Medical Center. Not only do they give outstanding care to their patients, but they truly care about their employees," said Michelle Alloway, Great Rivers Affiliate Division Director for the American Heart Association. “That’s why when it came to companies receiving this honor, I could not think of a better one to receive it. CHC is truly deserving of this honor, for they do a fantastic job of keeping their employees health as a priority."
For more information about the Start! Fit-Friendly Companies Program and how it is helping to improve the health of Americans by focusing on an activity that is convenient, free and easy, call (270) 842-5700 or visit startwalkingnow.org.